Joseph Wambaugh served in LAPD for fourteen years after he resigned and started writing crime novels drawing inspiration from his experience as detective. His most famous novel, The Choirboys, revolves around beat cops in night shift and their hardships on assignment in night shifts, until they go on break at the end of the shift in some bar drinking with prostitutes. Each chapter introduces us with different partners. Unlike other crime novels, this one portrays policemen as ordinary human beings with troubles and vices like everybody else, and works like parody and criticism of police hierarchy, stuffed with tremendously black humor, outrageous situations, insights into police work and deep sadness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Edward Bunker - No Beast So Fierce
Many years ago I watched Straight Time (1978), starring Dustin Hoffman, but until recently I had no idea that the film was based on Edward ...
-
Alphonse Gabriel "Al" Capone remains one of the most notorious figures in American criminal history. Born in 1899 in Brooklyn to I...
-
While many consider Hammett, Chandler, or even Horace McCoy as the titans of noir, I’d argue none of them reached the psychological depths J...
-
Sorry I haven’t posted in a while — I had a few things to take care of. I recently finished a collection of three David Goodis novels in o...

No comments:
Post a Comment