This is great collection of crime stories with insightful introduction by editor David Willis McCullough, in hardcover and almost 600 pages long, featuring among others famous essay by Raymond Chandler, Simple Art Of Murder. Like all anthologies it's not perfect, but there are some great stories here : Francois Eugene Vidocq (original criminal turned detective) - The Clue Of The Yellow Curtain, Marie Belloc Lowndes - The Lodger (excerpt from the novel), Marcel Allain - Princess Sonia's Bath, Dashiell Hammett - The Tenth Clew, George Simenon - At The Etoile Du Nord, Jim Thompson - This World, Then The Fireworks, Ross MacDonald - Wild Goose Chase, Donald E. Westlake - Just One Of Those Days and Mickey Spillane - The Gold Fever Tapes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Edward Bunker - No Beast So Fierce
Many years ago I watched Straight Time (1978), starring Dustin Hoffman, but until recently I had no idea that the film was based on Edward ...
-
While many consider Hammett, Chandler, or even Horace McCoy as the titans of noir, I’d argue none of them reached the psychological depths J...
-
Alphonse Gabriel "Al" Capone remains one of the most notorious figures in American criminal history. Born in 1899 in Brooklyn to I...
-
Gerald Kersh (1912–1968) was an English writer of novels and short stories, partially famous during his lifetime but oddly forgotten and neg...

No comments:
Post a Comment