Very good detective novel featuring charismatic private dick Slim Callaghan who goes on a hunt for spoiled son of wealthy dying man, being previously hired by a group of lawyers. As it turns out, son is fond of gambling and drugs and goes into serious trouble while Slim Callaghan wrestles with his mother-in-law. Novel itself is British answer to American hardboiled adventures but it's not a simple copy and paste, being unusually original in its writing. Peter Cheyney is now almost forgotten author but in his time he was very popular and lovers of classic crime fiction will definitely enjoy his novels about Slim Callaghan.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Edward Bunker - No Beast So Fierce
Many years ago I watched Straight Time (1978), starring Dustin Hoffman, but until recently I had no idea that the film was based on Edward ...
-
While many consider Hammett, Chandler, or even Horace McCoy as the titans of noir, I’d argue none of them reached the psychological depths J...
-
Alphonse Gabriel "Al" Capone remains one of the most notorious figures in American criminal history. Born in 1899 in Brooklyn to I...
-
Sorry I haven’t posted in a while — I had a few things to take care of. I recently finished a collection of three David Goodis novels in o...

No comments:
Post a Comment