Saturday, September 21, 2024

Fragments of Darkness





 I didn't stand a chance; it was pretty obvious. She was so beautiful and clearly above my level, while I was just ordinary anonymous weirdo, person with whom she wouldn't even drink a coffee, lonely man with fifteen years of solitude. And besides, who ever heard of a relationship between a customer and a shop worker? All I could ever hope to would be look of her eyes as I was buying stuff, although I evaded it as much as possible, eyes so beautiful they frozened world around me, like eyes of some egyptian goddess.


One night I dreamt horrible nightmare and I wokened up in 5 o'clock. I don't remember details of nightmare, just feeling of certain death and madness. I had to eat something to shake up and forget about it. Then I laid again but I couldn't fall asleep so I got up and started cleaning up my apartment. In that moment I received message on a phone.
'Come to 32. street when night falls. I will await you.'
Who could that be?, I wondered. I called the number, but no one answered. Could it be her? How could she know my number? It was irrational feeling, but I believed it was her. I didn't have friends or family, and no obligations, so I was happy that I could run away from my neighbourhood that evening. I found that street on google maps, but it was really hard to find it in reality, so I spent whole afternoon asking people on the streets, bus drivers and taxi drivers. On my way to there I paid a visit to her in shop, but she was not working that day. However, I read some strange headline in newspapers. It was written:

'I was roaming the battlefield for whole eternity, since the dawn of men to present day, searching for worthy opponent, but no one met my expectations'

Some people told me to not go there, but I didn't listen to them. In the end I had to take cab to drive me there, but even cab driver was having trouble to get there.

Darkness fell heavily when I got there, and my anxiety increased. I don't know why it was called lost neighbourhood, but I noticed that darkness of night was thicker in this place, so much that it could be smelled and touched, even tasted. Houses and trees were changing in front of my eyes, and mysterious passengers would look at me strangely. I waited for her a couple of minutes, and then I began wandering through the streets, until I found myself lost. Then I saw her standing by the tree. She was dressed in black and wore a veil on her head, shrouded in evening mist. Then she began to walk somewhere and I began following her. How much will this last, I wondered. Evening shadows swalloved her a couple of times, and she entered in some house. It was so dark in that house and I barely could see anything. She sat on a chair and began shaking, her back turned on me. As I was approaching her I felt some kind of fear. I put hand on her shoulder and stripped veil that was covering her face.

I almost passed out when I saw what was behind the veil. Skull full of worms, with decaying pieces of flesh rotting away. With horror in my heart I somehow managed to escape, to never return, to never see her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vanishing Poinr (1971)

Good car chase road movie about disgruntled ex-cop and driver who decides to race with his car while police are chasing him.