Bloody Murder is a useful reference book, but Julian Symons often comes across as rambling, jumping from one topic to another. What stands out most is his clear preference for puzzle novels and the classic British tradition, while writers such as Cornell Woolrich, Jim Thompson, and David Goodis are largely dismissed or marginalized, and Lionel White is not even mentioned. Despite these flaws, Bloody Murder remains a useful book for more advanced students of crime fiction.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Edward Bunker - No Beast So Fierce
Many years ago I watched Straight Time (1978), starring Dustin Hoffman, but until recently I had no idea that the film was based on Edward ...
-
Alphonse Gabriel "Al" Capone remains one of the most notorious figures in American criminal history. Born in 1899 in Brooklyn to I...
-
While many consider Hammett, Chandler, or even Horace McCoy as the titans of noir, I’d argue none of them reached the psychological depths J...
-
Sorry I haven’t posted in a while — I had a few things to take care of. I recently finished a collection of three David Goodis novels in o...

No comments:
Post a Comment