This is informative book on Dashiell Hammett from Sally Cline. However frustrating it may have been because Hammett rarely spoke of himself and maintained personal life in the shadows, author give us a brief overview of his life, from his earlier days, struggling with writing until he became acclaimed crime novelist, his first marriage and second to Lillian Hellman, his involvement with communists, all tell us a story about complex man. Maybe most dashing parts were his perpetual illness and writers block, but with his four novells and collection of stories he is forever regarded as one of the greatest crime novelists of all time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Edward Bunker - No Beast So Fierce
Many years ago I watched Straight Time (1978), starring Dustin Hoffman, but until recently I had no idea that the film was based on Edward ...
-
Alphonse Gabriel "Al" Capone remains one of the most notorious figures in American criminal history. Born in 1899 in Brooklyn to I...
-
While many consider Hammett, Chandler, or even Horace McCoy as the titans of noir, I’d argue none of them reached the psychological depths J...
-
Sorry I haven’t posted in a while — I had a few things to take care of. I recently finished a collection of three David Goodis novels in o...

No comments:
Post a Comment