Black Wings Has My Angel is often praised as a noir classic, but its reputation rests more on style than substance. Elliott Chaze focuses heavily on atmosphere and fatalism, using long, overwrought sentences that can feel pretentious and self-conscious. The mood is dark and nihilistic, but there is surprisingly little actual action, and the pacing often stalls under the weight of its own prose. While the novel has moments of power and a strong sense of doom, readers who prefer leaner, more dynamic noir may find it slow and frustrating.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Edward Bunker - No Beast So Fierce
Many years ago I watched Straight Time (1978), starring Dustin Hoffman, but until recently I had no idea that the film was based on Edward ...
-
While many consider Hammett, Chandler, or even Horace McCoy as the titans of noir, I’d argue none of them reached the psychological depths J...
-
Alphonse Gabriel "Al" Capone remains one of the most notorious figures in American criminal history. Born in 1899 in Brooklyn to I...
-
Gerald Kersh (1912–1968) was an English writer of novels and short stories, partially famous during his lifetime but oddly forgotten and neg...

No comments:
Post a Comment