I have already written about Lionel White and his crime-caper novels, and this Stark House double-bill edition, featuring an excellent introduction by Rick Ollerman, is a very worthwhile volume. The Snatchers, White’s debut novel, foreshadows the formula he would perfect in his later work. Although the story of the kidnapping of a young child has a few shortcomings, it remains engaging, particularly because of the memorable seaside hideout. The novel was later adapted into the film Night of the Following Day, starring Marlon Brando. The second novel in this volume, Clean Break, is even stronger. Reading it, I was frequently reminded of Kubrick’s adaptation, The Killing, although the novel possesses a somewhat different tone and pace, as well as several significant scenes and plot details that were omitted from the film. All in all, this is a very enjoyable summer read.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Edward Bunker - No Beast So Fierce
Many years ago I watched Straight Time (1978), starring Dustin Hoffman, but until recently I had no idea that the film was based on Edward ...
-
While many consider Hammett, Chandler, or even Horace McCoy as the titans of noir, I’d argue none of them reached the psychological depths J...
-
Alphonse Gabriel "Al" Capone remains one of the most notorious figures in American criminal history. Born in 1899 in Brooklyn to I...
-
Gerald Kersh (1912–1968) was an English writer of novels and short stories, partially famous during his lifetime but oddly forgotten and neg...
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment